Läckö CastleLäckö Castle (Swedish: Läckö Slott ) is a medieval castle in Sweden, located on Kållandsö island on Lake Vänern, 25 kilometers north of Lidköping in Västergötland, Sweden.
HistoryBrynolf Algotsson, Bishop of the Diocese of Skara, laid the foundations for a fortified castle in 1298 originally as a fort that consisted of two or three houses surrounded by a wall. After a fire during the 1470s, the fort was expanded by Bishop Brynolf Gerlachsson (1458-1505). After the reformation in 1527, King Gustav Vasa took possession. Field Marshal Jacob Pontusson De la Gardie (1583–1652) was granted the property in 1615. Field Marshal de la Gardie embarked on an extensive building spree, including the third floor of the keep. The portal to the main courtyard was added during his period, as were the frescos depicting people and winding plants found in niches, stairwells and the rooms on the third floor.
In 1654, Count Magnus Gabriel De la Gardie (1622–1686) initiated major construction projects at Läckö. A fourth floor was built in the main building and a number of artists were hired to decorate the walls and ceilings of the castle.
Läckö was later granted to Count Carl Gustaf Tessin (1695–1770) in 1752 and in 1810 to General Carl Johan Adlercreutz (1757–1815).