wikiamp

Emerson–Holmes Building

The Emerson–Holmes Building is a historic building at 566 Mulberry Street in Macon, Georgia that was built in 1859. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.

It is narrow--just 23 ft--and was built to serve as dentist offices for Dr. George W. Emerson, a dentist from Hew Hampshire. It has a "distinctive" facade and interior designed by master builder James B. Ayres and possibly built by artisans from Italy who had been brought to built the P.L. Hay House. The building was used for 82 years as dentist offices by Dr. Emerson and successors. The building also has residential space on the third floor.

Another NRHP listed building, the Militia Headquarters Building, was immediately adjacent to this building, but has since been demolished.

Photos

The building was surveyed by the Historic American Buildings Survey program, the photos were taken by L.D. Andrew on August 2, 1936. File:Emerson & Holmes Building, 556 Mulberry Street, Macon (Bibb County, Georgia).jpg|Front elevation File:Historic American Buildings Survey L. D. Andrew, Photographer Aug. 2, 1936 UPPER PART OF STAIR HALL - Emerson and Holmes Building, 556 Mulberry Street, Macon, Bibb County, GA HABS GA,11-MACO,13-2.tif|Upper part of stair hall File:Historic American Buildings Survey L. D. Andrew, Photographer Aug. 2, 1936 MIRROR IN DRAWING ROOM SECOND FLOOR - Emerson and Holmes Building, 556 Mulberry Street, Macon, Bibb HABS GA,11-MACO,13-4.tif|Mirror in drawing room on the second floor File:Historic American Buildings Survey L. D. Andrew, Photographer Aug. 2, 1936 PANELS AND VAULTED CEILING IN DRAWING ROOM, SECOND FLOOR - Emerson and Holmes Building, 556 Mulberry HABS GA,11-MACO,13-3.tif|Panels and vaulted ceiling in drawing room, second floor File:Historic American Buildings Survey L. D. Andrew, Photographer Aug. 2, 1936 DETAIL OF DOUBLE OPENING WITH IRON GRATING IN THIRD STORY REAR ROOM - Emerson and Holmes Building, 556 HABS GA,11-MACO,13-5.tif|Detail of double opening with iron grating in third story rear room