Allerton Avenue stationAllerton Avenue is a local station on the IRT White Plains Road Line of the New York City Subway. Located in the shopping district of Allerton, Bronx, at Allerton Avenue and White Plains Road, it is served by the 2 train at all times and by the 5 train during rush hours in the peak direction.
HistoryThis station was built under the Dual Contracts. It opened on March 3, 1917, as part of an extension of the IRT White Plains Road Line from East 177th Street–East Tremont Avenue to East 219th Street–White Plains Road, providing the Bronx communities of Williamsbridge and Wakefield with access to rapid transit service. Service on the new portion of the line was operated as a four-car shuttle from 177th Street due to the power conditions at the time.
This station was renovated in early 2005 at a cost of $12.76 million.
Station layoutThis elevated station has three tracks and two side platforms.
Both platforms have beige windscreens and red canopies with green outlines, frames, and support columns in the center and black, waist-high steel fences at either ends with lampposts at regular intervals. The windscreens have mesh fences at various points. The station signs are in the standard black name plates with white lettering.
The 2006 artwork here is called Allerton Mandalas by Michele Brody. It consists of stained glass panels on the platform windscreens featuring twisting colors of red and green (representing the trunk lines of the 2 and 5 trains).