49th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA49th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA, is a Canadian Forces Primary Reserve regiment based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. The regiment is part of 4th Canadian Division's 33 Canadian Brigade Group.
HistoryThe beginnings of the regiment start in 1802 when a detachment of the 49th Regiment of Foot was stationed in the area at Fort St. Joseph. The numeric designation of today's unit is derived from the original regiment of foot. In 1879, the first active militia infantry company was divided with 21 men being formed into a half battery of mountain artillery armed with two seven-pounder mountain guns.
In 1889, a half company of infantry was raised to company strength becoming No. 6 Company of the 96th District of Algoma Rifles. In 1892, the company of infantry became independent and at the end of 1892, the half battery of artillery was disbanded.
In 1900, a new regiment called the 97th Regiment Algonquin Rifles was formed with regimental headquarters in Sault Ste. Marie. The regiment sent volunteers to the Second Boer War and also furnished aid to the civilian government by quelling a riot at a paper mill. The regiment had companies in Thessalon, Sudbury and Sturgeon Falls.
In 1913, the 51st Regiment, known as the Soo Rifles, was formed. In October 1914, one company, 125 all ranks, under Captain J. Johnston went to England with the 2nd Battalion, CEF. Later in 1915, a second company of 125 men went overseas with the 19th Battalion, CEF. This was followed in 1916 by a third detachment from Sault Ste. Marie of 150 men joining the 37th Battalion, CEF.
Previously, in November 1915, the 119th Battalion, CEF, was organized and was followed in March 1916 by the organization of 227th Battalion, CEF. Upon arrival in England, these battalions were broken up and the men were sent as replacements to other units.
The 49th Field Regiment was authorized on 1 April 1946 first as the 58th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury Regiment), RCA, through the conversion of the 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury Regiment. In 1947 the regiment was renumbered as the 49th going through a number of name changes. From 1947 to 1952, it was designated the '49th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Sault Ste. Marie Regiment), RCA' and consisted of three batteries: No's 30, 148 and 153. The designation was then changed to the 49th (Sault Ste Marie) Medium Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA, then 49th (Sault Ste. Marie) Field Artillery Regiment, RCA in 1962, and re-designated 49th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA in January 1981.
The 49th Field Regiment is currently commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Robert Lambert. Regimental sergeant major is Master Warrant Officer Christopher Predum.